Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the hospital due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is put off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep you safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a few tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Put in a CO detector on all floors of your home and replace the batteries every year.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Power off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, purchase a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Don’t use a oven to warm your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned yearly.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your heating tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Service Experts will check to make sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 330-236-4793 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.